WNC 4-H Pullet Project
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
Henderson and Buncombe Counties have partnered together to offer the second year of the WNC 4-H Pullet Project! The program is designed for youth ages 5-18 in Western North Carolina who are interested in raising and showing chicks. The WNC 4-H Pullet Project gives youth the opportunity to…
- Raise 5 chicks from 2 days old until approximately 4 months old (laying hen breeds)
- Participate in training workshops to learn about chick care, husbandry, general health, housing, handling, and showmanship skills.
- Show your chickens with other program participants in the final WNC 4-H Pullet Project Show.
*Please Click Here to read the WNC 4-H Pullet Project’s rules and expectations for participants.
Participants will need to obtain equipment for raising their chicks by the beginning of April. The startup equipment includes starter chick feed, chick size feeder and waterer, heat lamp, shavings, and larger feeder and waterer. We will go over examples of equipment needed in the orientation workshops. Common household items may be used for some of the equipment.
Youth who have participated in the WNC 4-H Pullet Project in previous years, may participate in 2023. These participants must attend the mandatory orientations, showmanship clinic, and show. Second year participants who pay for new chicks will be able to participate in BOTH breed and showmanship. Second year participants who do not want additional chicks can compete in showmanship only if they choose to bring a bird from last year’s program.
Participation in 3 orientation workshops, a showmanship training clinic, and the final WNC 4-H Pullet Project are required! The dates are listed below:
Mandatory Program Dates
- March 7, 2023 – Final date for program registration and fee due
- March 14, 2023 (6:00 – 7:30 p.m.) – Orientation #1 held in-person Buncombe or via Zoom
- March 21, 2023 (6:00 – 7:30 p.m.) – Orientation #2 held in-person Henderson or via Zoom
- March 28, 2023 (6:00 – 7:30 p.m.) – Orientation #3 held in-person Henderson or via Zoom
- July 15, 2023 (9:00 a.m. – 2 p.m.) – Poultry Showmanship Clinic, Henderson
- August 19, 2023 (9:00 a.m. – noon) – 2023 Western 4-H Pullet Roundup Show
Additional Program Dates
- February 28, 2023 (5:30 – 6:30 p.m.) – Program Q&A held on Zoom
- April 18, 2023 (6:00 – 7:00 p.m.) – Zoom Check-in
- May 16, 2023 (6:00 – 7:00 p.m.) – Zoom Check-in
We will hold a Q&A Zoom on Tuesday, February 28th from 5:30-6:30 p.m. for anyone to ask questions about the program. If you’d like to attend that, please check the appropriate box in the Registration Form (linked below).
Registration and a $60 registration fee are required by March 7th to participate! All participants must be enrolled in 4-H Online to register. If you have not enrolled in 4-H Online before, please see the step-by-step instructions below:
***Click Here to Register for the 2023 WNC 4-H Pullet Project!***