So You Want to Become a Landscaper?

— Written By
en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

So, you are considering becoming a landscape or lawn care professional? That is great because there is plenty of demand for landscape and lawn care work in Henderson County! Working outside and with nature can be very rewarding. However before you start your landscape business, it would be a good idea to know about appropriate licenses, insurance and other business related resources.

stone wall

Business Help

If you are opening a business, the first thing you should do is contact the Small Business Center at Blue ridge Community College. The Small Business Center provides free, confidential business advice for new and existing businesses. Their advisors serve as sounding boards for ideas and will help you find answers to your business questions.

Business License

There was a change in State Law so business licenses are no longer required by the city or county. However prospective business owners should contact both the county and city to be confirm any other requirements for opening businesses in the area.


A landscape or lawn care business should carry general liability insurance and workers compensation insurance. Contact a local insurance agency to learn more.

Licensed Commercial Landscape Contractor

According to the North Carolina Landscape Contractors’ Licensing Board  website, “The North Carolina Landscape Contractors Law, Chapter 89D, is a statute which regulates landscape contracting in North Carolina; thereby safeguarding life, health, and property and maintaining a high professional standard for the landscape industry. The law states, in part, that “no person shall engage in the practice of landscape construction or contracting, use the designation ”landscape contractor,” or advertise using any title or description that implies licensure as a landscape contractor unless the person is licensed as a landscape contractor by the North Carolina Landscape Contractors’ Licensing Board.”

The website continues, “Why get licensed? If you are unlicensed and perform projects valued at $30,000 or more, your customers may not have to pay you. In a N.C. Supreme Court case captioned Brady v. Fulghum, an unlicensed general contractor sued homeowners for breach of contract. The Court ruled that the homeowners did not have to pay their general contractor even though he “substantially complied” with the construction contract. The Court held that “a contract illegally entered into by an unlicensed general construction contractor is unenforceable by the contractor.”

Commercial Pesticide Contractor

If you want to apply pesticides to another person’s property for a fee as a landscaper or lawn care professional you need a pesticide license. The Commercial Ground Applicators license, issued by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services,was created by the North Carolina Pesticide Law of 1971 and requires licensing for individuals applying any pesticide for compensation. The applicator is required to pass the core exam and a category exam appropriate to the area in which the applicator wishes to work. Continuing education must be obtained by acquiring 10 recertification credits within 5 years.