Yet Another Reason to Get Rid of English Ivy!
Not only is English ivy highly invasive, taking over woodlands and choking out native plants, but it also causes rashes. Just like poison ivy, English ivy (Hedera helix and related species) can cause an allergic skin reaction. Even though the two plants aren’t related, allergic reactions have been reported in gardeners after trimming English ivy and in children who played with English ivy or climbed trees covered with it. Itching, rashes, and weepy blisters can occur.
The rash pictured happened after touching a single vine.