Caneberry Winter Pruning
All blackberries and raspberries must be pruned and trained. Annual pruning helps keep the plants manageable, healthy, and productive. Below is a quick checklist of winter pruning tasks for caneberries.
- Make trellis repairs after plants have defoliated but before pruning and training.
- Pruning Erect Types
- Pruning Trailing Types
- Prune out the spent floricanes
- Tie or weave canes to wire so that they do not overlap
- Prune side laterals to 12-18″
- Thin canes to 6-8 canes/hill (6-8 ft spacing)
- Pruning Primocane Fruiting Raspberries and Blackberries (Single-Crop System)
- Prune (mow) primocane fruiting types to ground level