Regional Slaughter / Process Facilities
Inspected Slaughter/Process Facilities
In North Carolina, there are three types of slaughter/process facilities: State Plants, Talmadge-Aiken Plants, and Custom Exempt Plants. Click here for a description of each type of facility . Based upon your production and marketing needs, use the following directories to locate a slaughter/process facility close to you.
Remember, communication with a slaughter/process facility is critical to the success of your relationship with the company packing your meat, as well your relationship with your customers.
Before you use a facility:
- Be sure you speak to/visit with the people who are in charge, including the owners, plant managers, etc.
- Ask for a breakdown of fees (typical ones include kill fee/head, packaging fee/lb. of hanging weight, labeling, etc.)
- Ask for details about the packaging capabilities of the plant (vacuum packaging, trays, etc.)
- Become familiar with the language that your processor uses to describe cuts of meat (primal, sub-primal, and retail)
- Provide clear, written instructions to the processor about how you want your carcasses processed.