2019 Home Gardening Classes
Are you a Mountain Transplant? Did you recently move to Hendersonville from some other part of the country? Then, learn to garden in western North Carolina by attending these classes offered by N.C. Cooperative Extension, Henderson County Center.
Composting and Soils
March 21, 2019 – 6:30–8:30 p.m.
– Christine Brown, Henderson County Environmental Programs Coordinator, will teach gardeners about creating compost from kitchen and garden waste.
– Steve Pettis, Henderson County Commercial and Consumer Horticulture Agent, will give attendees the dirt on mountain soils.
Spring Veggies, Fruits and Berries
April 18, 2019 – 6:30–8:30 p.m.
– Steve Pettis, Horticulture Extension Agent, will teach gardeners the basics of how to produce their own food at home. Basics such as site prep, soils, plant selection, and pests will be covered.
Mountain Gardening Favorites
May 16, 2019 – 6:30–8:30 p.m.
– Steve Pettis, Henderson County Commercial and Consumer Horticulture Agent, will give attendees his favorites landscape plants for the mountains and pollinators
Gardening for Pollinators in Western North Carolina
June 13, 2019 – 6:30–8:30 p.m.
– Steve Pettis, Henderson County Commercial and Consumer Horticulture Agent will instruct. Butterflies, bees, and green lacewings are just a few of the insects that benefit humans. In this class, you will learn how to identify pollinating insects in the landscape and vegetable garden. You will also learn which plants feed, shelter, and provide habitat for pollinating insects. Also, you will learn how to build a pollinator house! Pesticide use can harm beneficial insects so we will learn how to control bad insects with non-pesticide techniques.
Maintaining the Mountain Landscape Lawn and Garden
July 18, 2019 – 6:30–8:30 p.m.
– Steve Pettis, Henderson County Commercial and Consumer Horticulture Agent, will teach gardeners the most effective ways to maintain the mountain landscape utilizing bee friendly techniques
Cost – $20 per person class due one week prior to class start ($35 per couple)
-Cash or check only (make checks out to Henderson Co. Coop. Ext.; mail to 100 Jackson Park Road, Hendersonville, NC 28792)
Location – N.C. Cooperative Extension, Henderson County Center, 100 Jackson Park Road
Call 828.697.4891 with questions
Number of attendees: _____________________________
Steve D. Pettis
Commercial and Consumer Horticulture Agent
100 Jackson Park Rd.
Hendersonville, NC 28792
email – firstname.lastname@example.org
office – (828) 697-4891
Like us on Facebook @
***N.C. Cooperative Extension partnership (NCCE) is committed to the value of diversity within our respective universities, to the provision of equal opportunity and non-discrimination in all employment for our staff, and to all N.C. residents seeking to participate in our programs.